Supports project organizational and administrative activities. Responsible for cost engineering, cost estimating, claims analysis and cost analysis/control activities for large projects; major projects with significant non-routine requirements; or discipline/project/proposal estimating or staff planning activities which require a high degree of technical skill and experience. Demonstrated skill in identifying, quantifying, analyzing, and providing innovative solutions to cost engineering and claims problems. Ensures work is completed as scheduled. Identifies cost trends for management attention. May review invoices for correct collection of revenue.
- Supervision Received
- Reports to and receives technical guidance and operational supervision from designated supervisory personnel.
- Provides technical and operational direction to assigned personnel.
- Maintains relationships with project personnel, particularly with individual discipline group leaders and engineers.
- Continuing contacts with Project Manager, project team members, and working and supervisory level personnel of other departments.
Essential Job Duties
- Provides comments and recommendations for cost engineering requirements relative to staffing and project control. Prepares detailed staffing plans for cost engineering activities.
- Reviews proposal provisions related to cost engineering and material control and develops supporting data for contract negotiations. Participates in establishing pricing structures to be applied to quantities for estimates. Obtains vendor information to update the cost data file. Applies material unit rates to quantities. Maintains cost data files.
- Interfaces with designated Bechtel management and client counterparts for specific cost presentations.
- Participates in developing and presenting training classes on designated subjects and on-the- job training for specific processes and practices.
- Conducts personnel performance reviews when delegated. Interviews candidates and makes recommendations for employment decisions.
- Supervises the timely preparation of cost estimates. Prepares and analyzes comparisons of scope, quantities, and cost data between the projects. Performs productivity analysis of Construction operations and verifies results.
- Reviews project work activities to ensure support of project milestones. Coordinates and establishes scoping requirements for the overall cost estimate by discipline or other specialty, and coordinates the timely, systematic, and complete acquisition of scope definition and related data.
- Coordinates pricing structure or criteria to be used by each discipline or specialty to meet the objectives of the cost estimate. Establishes format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level of confidence and identification of areas of risk.
- Prepares or reviews distributable and/or contractors’ indirect cost estimates, developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, nonmanual manpower, startup services, payroll taxes and insurance, camp facilities and operation, and other field office costs. Researches and develops or reviews tax estimates, including federal, state and local tax issues. Assists in developing or develops foreign currency and exchange rate estimates.
- Participates in discussions with vendors.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises project cost budgets.
- Defines project needs for cost control in accordance with established Bechtel and client contractual requirements, objectives, and procedures. Supervises the timely performance of cost control activities. Reviews and critiques designs and specifications for cost effectiveness and suggests alternatives when appropriate. Prepares cost trend estimates in support of project cost trend programs.
- Supervises cost recording, monitoring, and reporting practices for compliance with applicable standards accuracy and consistency.
- Supervises investigating requirements for cost control data for specific discipline or other specialty applications. Identifies needs for cost analysis support for the project, and recommends development or modification of cost engineering data standards. Supervises performance of cost analysis activities within the project.
- Coordinates information input into specific studies. Responsible for integration of activities and total work scope identification. Evaluates study results and recommends conclusions for project team consideration and discussion.
- Develops unit job hour and pricing data for a specific discipline or other specialty, including estimating parameters, factors indices, productivity and craft distribution reference data, etc., based on analysis of Bechtel and industry experience. Performs data analysis, identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Creates and implements measurement systems for given processes, analyzes performance metric results, and identifies improvements. Ability to use statistical tools to analyze metrics (e.g., regression, analysis of variance, correlation), and ability to analyze measurement systems to identify bias, repeatability, and stability issues.
- Prepares and presents cost engineering information to management/client.
- Experience in performing, monitoring, and reviewing cost engineering functions, including cost estimating, cost control, financial reporting systems, and cost analysis, in the field and the home office.
- Statistical knowledge in the areas of sampling distributions, probability, and hypothesis testing. Knowledge in supervision, personnel administration, and training of technical and non-technical personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct, perform, review, and present cost engineering and cost estimating products. This includes planning and scheduling products independently with minimal supervision using a high level of professional judgment and knowledge related to technical planning and scheduling skills and engineering design and construction practices.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Advanced level of knowledge of engineering, procurement, contracts, construction, and startup work processes, as performed by Bechtel.
- Knowledge of engineering and construction management customarily acquired over time through specialized instruction or practical experience.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.